Pages

Monday, February 08, 2016

A Month of Letters - Day 8 - Maureen Mani



Todays letter is a reconnection letter that went overseas. I had gotten a friend request on Facebook from Maureen and didnt know who she is, well the last name at least wasn't familiar and of course we all change when we grow older.

It took me a couple of months after she posted a photo of her mum and dad, did I realise who she was. Her family and mine are old family friends. The parents concocted that we should do business together as we got along so well and were good friends.

So there is a club in Suva, Fiji called China Club where everything happens. Not sure why its called China Club because every nationality went there. I have wonderful memories of that club. It had a bar area and a hall. I played badminton there, danced my classical Chinese dances there for audiences on special occasions. Attended weddings and many other functions that are etched in my memory.

So they play bingo on a Friday night and Maureen and I were cajoled into starting a "business" together making pikelets and tea and coffee for the members. Maureen reckons I made the pikelets but I am sure we both did. I think we made a lot of money, well I remember being very busy trying to keep up with the orders. We'd have to be really quiet when we delivered the orders and they would wave their notes at us while they had their heads down to play.

Those were the wonderful memories with Maureen and thanks to Facebook we have reconnected.

I just noticed the back of the envelope where the washi tape has overflowed into. I love the pattern it creates, I may use that in a future envelope.

So what have you mailed today?

 February is a Month of Letters where we send at least one piece of mail a day via snail mail to someone.

1 comment:

  1. How lovely that the 'mystery' Maureen turns out to be an old friend. I love your story of serving tea and pikelets to the members.
    Yes, the washi tape makes a great pattern! What a discovery.
    Have a good day and keep writing,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I thoroughly enjoy reading your comments. Please visit again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...