Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

PCAD 149 and Decorated Envelope October Exchange - Lilli McGinn - Canada

 I received this envelope yesterday and was puzzled as it contained 2 postcards, so I had no idea it was an exchange envelope because nothing eluded to that. I looked everywhere to see which group this penpal was from. There was even a letter in there.

Lilli says she was trying a new font out, highlighting with jelly roll pens with glitter. I love glitter and I love the font.
 Fisgard lighthouse in Victoria Canada Fort Rodd Hill.

Victoria, Vancouver Island, BC

Built November 16, 1860 Now Automated 48° 26' N 123° 27' W

a National Historic Site - The first lighthouse on Canada's west coast is still in operation! There hasn't been a keeper here since the light was automated in 1929, but every year many thousands of visitors step inside a real l9th century light, and capture some of the feeling of ships wrecked and lives saved.
Built by the British in 1860, when Vancouver Island was not yet part of Canada, Fisgard's red brick house and white tower has stood faithfully at the entrance to Esquimalt harbour. Once a beacon for the British Royal Navy's Pacific Squadron, today Fisgard still marks home base for the Royal Canadian Navy.
Inside the building are two floors of exhibits, dealing with shipwrecks, storms, far- flung lights, and the everyday working equipment of the light keeper a century ago. Right next to the tower stirs on the second floor, a specially-made video evokes the loneliness and isolation that was the lot of the l9th century keeper.

The waterfront sites at Fisgard Lighthouse and Fort Rodd Hill are extremely photogenic, especially with the scenic backdrop of the Olympic Mountains in neighbouring Washington state. 
The Strait of Juan de Fuca almost always offers a wide variety of ships, from small sailing vessels, to enormous cargo ships, and the proximity of the Canadian Navy base means that military craft of several nations are often seen at close range. 
Wildlife at the sites includes Columbian black-tailed deer, river otters, mink, raccoons, harbour seals, and sea lions. 

Anthony island Queen Charlotte Island is a UNESCO site 

The village of Ninstints (Nans Dins) is located on a small island off the west coast of the Queen Charlotte Islands (Haida Gwaii). Remains of houses, together with carved mortuary and memorial poles, illustrate the Haida people's art and way of life. The site commemorates the living culture of the Haida people and their relationship to the land and sea, and offers a visual key to their oral traditions.

Thank you Lilli for your beautiful envelope and postcards (I wonder how she knew I was collecting postcards). I will read your letter with a nice cup of tea.

Jean Wilson and Jan Hardt organise this monthly Envelope Exchange that I love to participate in.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bridget, glad you received my mail. I enjoyed your October Envelope and thought I would send one in return. I follow your Blog so I know you're a Postcrosser and like postcards. I'm also a Postcrosser (id: halfmoonlilli) so I have a large supply of postcards. I have your name for the November exchange so look for my envelope later this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a fabulous envelope and post cards - thanks for all the associated information that you add.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I thoroughly enjoy reading your comments. Please visit again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...